Lilypie First Birthday tickers

First Offical Doctor's Appointment

Friday, January 22, 2010

Yesterday I saw the midwife at Meridan's Women's Health and had the big, long informational visit.  She didn't seem scared about my family history, so that's good.  Apparently they are more concerned with a family history of Down's Syndrome, immunodeficiency diseases, and birth defects than they are with large amount of cancer in my family. They also did not chastise me for being an "obese mother," which I was freaking out about, so all in all it was pretty good.


During the exam, she said everything looks great and I am actually closer to nine weeks than eight, like I originally thought.  She also gave me a new due date of August 28th instead of September 5th.


It's really weird though, because I am feeling really down in the dumps today.  I had really thought they would do SOMETHING to be sure my baby was in there growing ... I knew I might not be able to hear a heartbeat yet, but practically every mother I have talked to in the past few weeks has said they got an early ultrasound.  So why didn't I?  


They also said I won't be getting my first ultrasound until 19-20 weeks!! That seems late to me.  And, of course, when I made my next appointment for the middle of February, I didn't have the presence of mind to ask if they will be looking for a heartbeat that day.  And now I am afraid to call and ask.  But I would really like to know, because if they ARE, Jeremy wants to be there, and it would have to be moved to a Friday.  And if they AREN'T, then I need to find a way to explain that I NEED that to happen.


Yes, I know the solution to this is all very simple:  CALL THE PLACE. But, if you know me well, you know my struggles with anxiety and panic (which I really don't have the time, energy, or space to explain here), and you know that a simple phone call like that can reduce me to tears.  Believe me.  I have been hung up on a lot.  Years ago, I couldn't even order a pizza.  Thankfully, I can do so now.  Otherwise, I might have wasted away to nothing by now! :)


Anyway, I am feeling sad and like it still isn't real, but I do love the midwife I met with yesterday.  When I told her about the nausea, she gave me a prescription (love her!), but she also said, "Oh, honey, I know right now you are thinking 'I did NOT sign up for this!' but soon you will be loving this pregnancy!"  


When she asked me if I had any travel plans for the rest of the pregnancy, I told her about my dad's big banquet in Detroit at the end of August that is bigger than his wedding, my wedding, and the birth of Jesus combined and he needed me there, she said, "Well, stop by the day of the banquet, and we'll give you your file.  They have lovely hospitals in Detroit."  So I bet my dad will be happy to hear that. :)


My mom said I need to write more about how I'm happy to be pregnant. Let me direct you here and here.  Yes, I am ECSTATIC to be having a child.  But, unfortunately, right now I am not too excited with my personal pregnancy.  But that doesn't mean I am not still grateful and excited, and I have high hopes that I will be happy soon.  So, here's to hoping!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go through so many different emotions when you're pregnant, I went through similar feelings so I understand what your going through. Pregnancy is not nearly as glamorous as it is made out to be in the movies, on t.v. etc. but I promise that when you feel that little flutter, you hear the heartbeat and are able to see that little baby things will start to feel different. That is when it felt real to me, when it felt like pregnancy was more about that little baby and less about the morning sickness and weight gain! Don't be scared to pick up the phone and call about the ultra sound, you're the mom and you're in charge! Hang in there, you are going to be a great mom!

knittingispurple said...

Hi,

I'm a lurker no more. I love your blogs, it's nice to know real life is still happening since my life revolves around studying.

Anyways, according to my genetics prof ultrasounds don't typically happen until 20-22 weeks. You won't have to wait as long as the "typical" person if they can get you in at 19 weeks. I hope this information helps.

Jenni

Amy said...

I'll call for you and pretend to be you. I'm ballsy like that. Or you could just call. Because really, you nned to know.

I just stumbled upon your blog a few days ago and I LOVE that I found you at this point where I can read all about your journey to becoming a mom.

It's ok, that you're not over the moon about your own pregnancy. You want the verification that it's real first and that makes sense and it's completely normal. A friend of mine went through the same thing.

Oh and HOW are you obese? You look completely normal to me.

Veronica M. D. said...

Thanks for all the comment love!

Lois - I KNOW! I just want to see or hear this baby!!

Jennifer - thanks, that DOES help. But I am still jealous of all the other moms who get early ones! Ha! :)

Amy - UM, I LOVE you. Here's the number .. just kidding. Actually, I just got some awesome news from a different source, which I will blog about soon, that is making me feel a bazillion times better. And I love the not obese comment. I actually weigh, um, a LOT, so my BMI is in the obese category, but I am a healthy healthy lady, even if I have big old curves, so it is hard to tell which doctors will give me crap and which will realize I am healthy even though I weigh a lot. Thanks for the love!

Jess said...

I'm glad you liked Meridan Women's. My doctor there always had great shoes. One time, she had on these lime green crocodile pumps... oh man.

And I guess she was a great doctor, too.