Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Leaps and Bounds

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Thanks to Arwen Mosher, I am no longer dying!  Let's give it up to her for telling me my blood sugar is likely all whack if I am eating things like saltines.  She suggested trying to get protein and fat into my mouth every time I eat.  She warned me it would sound terrible, but I trusted her and ate a nice fatty protein this morning and LIKE MAGIC the sea of sickness in my stomach calmed, and I probably could have eaten ANYTHING today.  I kept it up with a lot of small protein meals, and I am feeling like a rock star.


Her timing could not have been more perfect, because I had to head back to work today.  We had a 6-hour long meeting and I had been pretty worried that I would die 5 minutes into it and get fired.  But I survived!  And I even went GROCERY SHOPPING after the 40-minute drive and CAME HOME AND MADE CHILI!!!!  These things have not been happening lately because of all the death, but now it's like I'm a whole new lady.


The other great stride I made today is finally choosing a place to make an appointment for my first huge "intake" appointment.  I decided to try the Meridian's Women's Health Center on the advice of Miss Jess (you take a bow, too) and I liked the sound of the place.  I am even more excited that they have a certified midwife on staff, and I will be meeting her for my initial appointment.  The only problem is I still have to wait another two weeks to get in.  Grrr!  I am still having those terrible fears that I am not really pregnant, and I need some blood work or nice close up pictures of the baby (I kid) to provide me some evidence.  And I have lots of questions (surprise!).


In other news, this is what soybean looks like right about now:




Isn't she cute!?!?!  (Jeremy calls the baby "he" and I call the baby "she" -- just to be fair.)


The nose, mouth and ears are beginning to take shape, and the baby's heart is beating 100-160 times a minute.  Blood is beginning to course through his body, the intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to the lungs has appeared.  The pituitary gland is forming, as are the the rest of the brain, muscles, and bones.  The tongue and vocal cords are even beginning to form!


The baby is probably a quarter of an inch long and is about the size of a lentil bean.


I really wasn't prepared for how different it would be to read this information when it was MY BABY they were describing.  I cried when I read the 6-week physical changes descriptions to Jeremy from What to Expect When You're Expecting.  Well, no surprise there!


I continue to get GREAT ideas and advice and motivation.  Thanks to all of you, and keep it coming! 

4 comments:

dogimo said...

You ate a nice fatty protein this morning, and for reasons I have no idea why, I am seized with the sudden, impertinent need to know which one. If I may ask, which nice fatty proteinaceous item did the trick?

My wild guess: a scotch egg!

Veronica M. D. said...

I didn't want to say because I didn't want other mothers clucking and shaking their heads when they saw ... but ... Egg McMuffin. And it was magical. I'd do it again, damn it!!

Ally said...

That's amazing!

Glad to hear your feeling better. I want to eat Egg McMuffins! That's awesome!

This must be baby month - our friends just announced they are having their second!


Ally
Tales Of A Fourth Grade Nothing

Arwen said...

I'm so glad I could help! I grinned when I saw this.

I don't know about the other moms reading, but I certainly didn't cluck when I read about the Egg McMuffin. With pretty much every thing that's *sort of* forbidden during pregnancy (caffeine, deli meat, etc) I fell on the less-cautious side of the line, and I'm not ashamed. I even had the occasional margarita during my third trimester.

(At home, of course. I wouldn't have dared brave the dirty looks and drink one in public.)

People get even more judge-y after you actually have the baby, so enjoy this time, when you aren't visibly pregnant and you can enjoy an Egg McMuffin in peace! I say, have one every day if you want it.