Lilypie First Birthday tickers

14 Weeks, aka, The Second Trimester!

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Well, today is the big day:  The second trimester!  It is nice to finally hit a big landmark, and it makes it seem like that third trimester is actually something that will happen one of these days!  I know everyone says pregnancy just FLIES by, but these past few months have been the LONGEST of my life!  I truly hope now that things are calming down and I am feeling a little better I can enjoy the pregnancy more, and maybe it will begin to fly by.


In big baby news this week, the baby can now make all kinds of facial expressions!  It can grimace,  frown, and squint.  None of the books mentioned smiling, but when Jeremy asked if it can smile too, I said, "Sure!  We have a happy baby!"  So, if you know for a fact that the baby cannot smile yet, please don't burst our bubble!



The baby is about 3 1/2 inches now and probably weighs about 1 1/2 ounces.  It can also probably grasp and suck his or her little thumb! The fact Jeremy found the weirdest was that the baby is producing and excreting urine already.


The neck is growing longer and straightening out, and the body is finally growing faster than the head.  By the end of this week, his or her little arms will probably also have grown to a length that's in proportion to the rest of the body, though the legs need a little more work to be in proportion.


He or she is also developing languo this week, or the ultra-fine hair that will cover the body and keep him or her warm, which my baby certainly needs! :)  I have a super-low basal temperature, even with the one degree I increased with the pregnancy.  I don't want a chilly baby!


The baby's liver should also begin making bile and the spleen will start the production of red blood cells.  And even though I can't feel it yet, the baby's hands and feet (which are about 1/2 inch long!) are flexible and fully active.  I can't wait to feel those kicks!

0 comments: