Lilypie First Birthday tickers

12 Weeks

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Twelve weeks already.  I would love to report that I am feeling better, but now it's more like intermittent horribleness.  One day I will be feeling awesome (and then I stupidly say something like, "Jeremy!  I think I am turning a corner here!") and then the next day I will be back on the couch unable to lift my head.  But at least I am having some good days!


On Thursday I was actually thinking about posting about how much better things were getting, but I decided to wait for Friday.  Friday morning I was feeling fantastic.  I had a morning meeting at work (still feeling fantastic) and then I was driving home and ... BAM.  I threw up in a Tim Horton's bag while driving on the expressway.  It was so freaky and came out of nowhere!  Most of what I have been dealing with is just that overwhelming nausea feeling, and I wasn't even feeling nauseated when this happened!  I called Jeremy panicked and crying (which turns out, didn't help), and then got home and took a 3-hour nap.  What a weird day!


Anyway, two more weeks and the first trimester will be a distant memory!  This week the baby is the size of a lime ...



... and I am apparently already the size of a house! :)


But amazing things are happening this week.  The baby is developing REFLEXES!  Reflexes!!  I told Jeremy (through sobs, of course) and he was just as shocked as I was that the baby is opening and closing its little fingers, curling its toes, and making SUCKING MOVEMENTS!  It is just too amazing.


Nerve cells are forming rapidly now, and synapses in the brain are forming furiously.  The face also looks more human now.


The baby probably looks something like this today:



Except, let's be honest -- my baby probably already has a MUCH bigger butt than normal babies at this point! :)


The next doctor's appointment is this Thursday, and Jeremy will get to go with me to hear the heart beat!!  I am so excited!  Maybe they will also tell me it is twins, and that is why I am already as big as a moose!

4 comments:

Jess said...

You should talk to it or play music for it or something. I'm currently writing a paper about synapse development in the prenatal months (it's a thrilling read...) and my text book says that the more stimulation the baby has, the more strong synapses will develop. So you should stimulate your baby if you want it to have strong synapses. It also says you should drink whole milk (helps in myelin production-- that's the fatty stuff that coats your brain cells and transmits information), but I don't really see that happening for you.

Kristina said...

You look so pretty in your pic here! That would be awesome if you were having twins. Can't wait to hear how the appt goes.

Veronica M. D. said...

Jess - I told Jeremy to get some music ready. To say he is "all over it" is an understatement. Also, the milk? NO. FUCKING. WAY. It would kill me, and then who would raise this baby??? I bet your teacher didn't think about THAT.

Kristina - Thanks!! I would die of excitement if we were having twins! Jeremy, however, might die of ... fright. :)

Amy said...

Oh but a very pretty moose. Make all the boy moose go "BWAAAAH BWAAAAH BWAAAAAH"